Click here for the CNG Survey
In October 2010, ACUA dedicated its new Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fueling Station. Built and operated by Clean Energy Fuels. The ACUA’s station was the first in the South Jersey to be open to the public. Since the Authority opened its station 3 other public CNG stations have opened in South Jersey; in Camden, Glassboro, and a second station Egg Harbor Township.
ACUA is transitioning its fleet of collection vehicles from diesel to CNG to reduce emissions and save money. As a member of the NJ Clean Cities Coalition the ACUA was awarded $2 million in funding from the U.S. Department of Energy to offset the cost of constructing the fueling station and purchasing new CNG vehicles. In Atlantic County, ACUA has 15 CNG vehicles on the road already, collecting trash and recycling around the County. The Atlantic City Jitney Association, Earth Tech, the City of Linwood, and South Jersey Gas are other local fleets that have transitioned their fleet to CNG.
To sign up your fleet or vehicle as a Clean Energy customer and to access ACUA's station for fueling, customers can choose to complete a pay-as-you-go application, or an application for monthly billing. ACUA's fueling station also accepts existing Wright Express fleet cards.
• Is CNG right for your fleet? Click here to download a copy of ACUA's CNG brochure.
• To learn more about how using CNG can benefit municipalities, click here to read more.
• Looking for CNG stations near you? http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html
• For CNG vehicle bid spec tips, click here
• Did you know CNG engines are available for light, medium and heavy-duty engines? Click here for a CNG vehicle list.
• Calculate the potential cost benefits of switching from gasoline to natural gas with this helpful payback estimator.
• Need additional CNG conversion companies? Click here
• How does CNG compare with the cost of other alternative fuels? Click here
• ACUA's CNG fueling station has generated a lot of interest in this clean, domestic fuel. Presentations from seminar; "the Business Case for CNG," (3.29.11) can be viewed here:
Cleaner, Cheaper, Better - The Business Case for CNG
CNG Transportation Overview
The Business Case for CNG: Access & Billing
South Jersey Gas Perspective
Maintenance of CNG Vehicles
• Check out photos of the ACUA's trucks, station and Atlantic City's CNG jitneys on Flickr.
• Learn more about Compressed Natural Gas:
Click here for a summary of how tax legislation helps natural gas vehicles
ACUA CNG Overview
ACUA CNG Fact Sheet
Why Natural Gas?
CNG Basics...What is it? How does it work? How much will it cost to own and fuel a CNG vehicle?
A Greener Future for the Garden State? The Role of Natural Gas Vehicles
US Dept. of Energy's Clean Cities Program
NJ Clean Cities Program
Clean Energy Fuels
For information on the National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium (NAFTC) and National AFV Day Odyssey events: