Plastic bags cannot be placed in your curbside recycling bin. The recycling center at ACUA, operated by ReCommunity, uses a largely automated system to sort the materials that come in. The plastic bags get twisted up in the gears of the system and cause major problems with the machinery.
Please recycle your plastic bags at your nearest retailer. Click here to view a list of Atlantic County locations that accept plastic bags for recycling. When recycled together at stores, no sorting is required and it’s easier for manufacturers that
want to use them as feedstock to purchase them, which means they are sure to be
recycled into more plastic items.
Many of these locations also accept the following plastic film:
- Retail, Newspaper, Dry Cleaning, Bread, Produce, and also other Plastic Bags labeled #2 and #4
- Zip Close Food Storage bags (clean and dry)
- Furniture and Electronic wrap
- Plastic cereal box liners (if it tears like paper do not include)
- Plastic shipping envelopes, including Tyvek ®, bubble wrap and air pillows (Remove labels and/or deflate)
- Product Wrap (used on paper towels, diapers, bathroom tissue, water bottles)
List provided by Plastic Film Recycling