ACUA News

February 28, 2018

Hoverboard Causes Fire in ACUA Collection Truck

A hoverboard was found to be the cause of a fire in an Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA) collection truck on Tuesday, February 27, in the City of Brigantine.

While completing their route in the City, two employees noticed the smell of smoke and immediately pulled the truck over. The Brigantine Fire Department quickly arrived on the scene to put out the fire. After sorting through the materials, a hoverboard was discovered among the trash and determined to be the cause. 

As proven through this incident, it’s important residents understand what can and cannot be thrown in household trash to keep our community safe.

ACUA reminds residents to never dispose of:

  • Any recalled items, such as recalled hoverboards, lithium-ion batteries, etc.
  • Electronics – electronics are known to contain hazardous materials that are banned from the landfill. There are many local recyclers who can safely dispose of these items. See www.acua.com/electronics for more information.
  • Household Hazardous Waste – this includes pesticides, oil-based paint, CFL lightbulbs, car batteries, bleach and other cleaning supplies, pool chemicals, and other items that are harmful to the environment. See www.acua.com/hhw for more information.  

If you are not sure if your item is accepted as household trash, please check ACUA’s website www.acua.com for more information or call at 609.272.6950. 



 
Search Our Directory

© ACUA 2019 All Rights Reserved.