Mercury should never be disposed of with regular trash because it is a hazardous material that could cause harm to humans and animals if it were to find its way into the environment. Click here for additional information on this.
Please make yourself familiar with the items in the following list and then dispose of them properly at one of ACUA's Household Hazardous Waste Drop Offs. Stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and Batteries and Bulbs should accept compact fluorescent light bulbs for recycling.
Mercury-containing items may include:
- Fluorescent Lights
- Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs)
- Non-digital Thermometers where the liquid is silver in color
- A variety of switches (mostly older ones before new regulations)